Sunday, July 29, 2007

9.) We Escape The Gringo Killing Secret Ray Guns



My parents, especially my Mom, were very concerned about this adventure from the beginning. Living here in Texas gives us ample opportunity to sample of the sensationalized news reports that proclaim the violence of Mexicans, Mexico, and many other things outside of these here United States of America.

This media spin is 100% garbage and is indicative of America's propensity to swallow the 10 second media soundbite without questioning or even thinking. Yes it is true that 13 people were murdered and buried in the back yard of a house in Nuevo Laredo. It as also true that all of those murdered were drug mules. Only, the media forgot to tell America that. But America remembers that Mexicans kill folks and bury them behind their houses. Pretty pathetic, really.

So, the reality is that there is no reason to fear Mexico. It is at least as tranquil as the US, and probably much more so. At no time during any trip to Mexico, and there have been dozens in my life, have I ever felt threatened in any way dissimilar to what can happen in any place (with one exception - I was kidnapped in Mexico once by the military - but that is a story for another blog...).

So, this picture has special significance to me. You will notice that the Canadian Maple leaf sticker on my back used to be on my bike pannier. Right outside of Chihuahua, since Jim and I had yet to evaporate into the evil Mexican air, I thought it right to do one final scan of the horizon for the Secret Ray Guns that the Mexicans have set up to kill all the gringos who are fleeing to Mexico in search of a better life.

Needless to say, I did not find and ray guns. So after the final search, we were greatly relieved, and felt confident enough to ride around Mexico without having to masquerade as Canadians any more.

Oh, I almost forgot. Right after this picture was taken, a Mexican man on a tractor came around the corner and gave us the most enthusiastic, cheerful, and loving greeting and wave we had seen in days. His goodwill towards us was genuine and unmistakeable. You would never get that kind of greeting from a human being in Houston, TX. A middle finger, maybe... But a genuine well wishing hello from a stranger? I think not...

No comments: