Monday, July 30, 2007

14.) The Copper Canyon Tequila Incident

We arrived at the bus stop in Bailsachi at about 1:30 PM. There is a tienda there and we got some refreshments. We were noticing that many people were pulled up to the cross roads in their cars and trucks. They were sitting in the vehicles - kind of odd. About 20 minutes later, a bus pulls up from a gravel road and disembarks passengers. It is now apparent why everyone was waiting. They are picking up bus riders to take them home down in the canyon. Then something strange happens.

As the bus disgorges people, all the women and children flock over to us alien gringos on motorcycles. They are enthralled with us and the bikes. We begin talking with them. They get excited, then they start wanting to pose on the bikes for pictures.

A middle aged woman leads off. Notice she is holding a Tecate beer. This woman is already three sheets to the wind and it is only mid day.



A younger one joins on my bike.



Then an older woman and a child.


Then one that Jim went ga-ga over. Note the red pickup truck in the background.



After this woman sat on my bike, a man emerged from the red truck across the street and approached me. I start worrying, because I know that Mexican men are known for their machismo, and here we are messing with their women - maybe even his wife, for all I know. The man approaches, and from the inside of his vest, he pulls... yes, you got it, a...

BOTTLE OF TEQUILA!

El Jimador. About 1/3 full. He gives it to me and Jim as a present.

I thank him profusely and as I try to put the bottle into by panniers, it becomes apparent that this gift is to be drunk right now. So, Jim and I kill off the third of a bottle of Tequila. Here is proof...





Sorry I do not have pictures of Jimmy partaking, but he definitely did.

Yeah, man! Nothing like navigating 100 miles of heinous twisties with 1000 foot sheer drop offs, and no guard rails, with a third of a bottle of Tequila in you.

Actually, I just sat on the stump outside the store and drank Gatorade for a while until the buzz subsided to reasonable. Then Jim and I jetted back to San Juanito, arriving right at dusk.

On the way back, we went through a GIANT dust storm. Could not get pictures, but it was spectacular. A completely bizarre end to a completely bizarre day.

No comments: