Monday, July 30, 2007

15.) Proof of How Cool Mexicans Can Be

During the Copper Canyon episode, at one point I made an abrupt stop in the road to take a picture. Jim rammed me from behind and bent the frame for my panniers like this.


I limped back to San Juanito with no real danger of losing the bag, but I wanted it fixed. The next morning, I took the bike to the mechanic next door to our motel. I explained the problem. About 6 Mexican guys descended on solving the problem. All I said was "make the left one look like the right one looks". I asked how long it would take. They said come back in 30 minutes.

So, we go eat breakfast. They go to work.



After breakfast, I go back to the shop to pay up. I can't find anyone around. Finally, I find one of the shop boys. I ask him how much? He says "de nada" - "it's nothing". I am shocked. I look at the frame. It looks like new, fresh from the factory. And nobody wants to get paid for helping me!!!

The shop boy refuses payment, so I go across the street to the hotel and give the lady behind the desk 10 bux for the man. She is the one who hooked me up with him in the first place, so I know she knows him. I do not know if he ever got his money, but I know I tried to pay up.

Can you believe that? What are the chances of that happening in Houston, TX?

No comments: